Friday, June 12, 2009

San Diego

So, I have been a total slacker on posting.  Now that I am officially on vacation, I am going to try to make up for it.  Really.

I went to San Diego a month ago.  It was way cool.  The city is gorgeous and right on  the water, just how I like it.  There were old ships docked on the waterfront.  Some of them you had to pay to tour.

And this one has a gift shop inside, but we didn't go in.

There were several statues along the "boardwalk" I guess you would call it.  They seemed kind of random.  Only a few had nautical themes.

As in any city, there was the occasional street performer.  This guy stood in front of the silver mime for several minutes, holding cash out.  I don't know if he was trying to screw with the guy or genuinely didn't understand the standard protocol.

A guy that was selling stuff gave me this flower made out of something like a corn husk...I think I might be wrong about that.

For the lazy people, there were lots of carriage things.  There seemed to be an oversupply, so some tried to distinguish themselves with touristy "character." There was one with a boombox playing Bob Marley but I didn't get a pi of that one.  This one was kinda creepy.

Apparently cabs are funny too in San Diego.  I wonder if he has free coffee inside.

There was an old aircraft carrier that was converted into a military museum, I think, but being super cheap, we did not go inside.  There was a cool memorial outside, though.

The big deal was an airshow.  There were lots of drunk people, and I ended up having to give up my awesome spot for picture taking because one guy that was nice at first started bugging me to take pictures with my camera.  There were tons of sober people too, and I tested out my zoom lens with the anti-shake feature.  I think it came out pretty good.


After wandering past the airshow crowd we found the tourist shopping area.  It was really nice.

Complete with a cute duck pond in the middle.

And...at this point Mario just couldn't hold back anymore...a fountain with a muse!!!!

Then we found the historic district.

Apparently, the Hard Rock Hotel is very "historic."  In true Southern California style, there were even sexy people on bathing suits hanging out on the balcony.

Now, I was taking pictures in the name of art and tourism, but I caught this guy next to me just hanging out with binoculars.  I was too slow to catch him, but he wanted to pose for me anyway.

Further down the street, there were many actual historic buildings, gorgeous!!!

And then we ended up back in the same place where we got off the bus, a perfect loop!