Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wine Country

So, Arizona has wine country. You wouldn't think it from the landscape, but the sign on the highway said we were entering it.

Recently, I went to the Sonoita Vineyards for a special event wine tasting.  Unfortunately, we didn't get to see actual grapes being grown in Arizona (I still don't believe it's possible).  One of the white wines had a distinct mesquite flavor, so maybe it's true.  Here is the view of the "vineyard" from the winery:

There was a good crowd there, and they were serving food, either as full plates, or paired with some of the wines.  We were pretty hungry, and I knew I'd have to drive through a Border Patrol checkpoint on the way home, so we opted for less wine and more food with the full plates. Mmmm....grilled steak, beans, salsa, and tortillas.  Standard Arizona food, but made well.
Here's a peek at the winery's yard, with festivities:


Inside, the owner was giving talks about the wine-making process in the back room.  I learned all about yeast, oak barrels, and the difference between making red and white wine.  Sorry Carlo Rossi, but it's only aged red wine for me from now on.

The tanks below have wine in them at this very moment!  They have lights strung on them because the founder's granddaughter recently had a wedding at the winery, and they used the back room as the dance floor! Too cute!