Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Musical Tangent

I was looking at the Rialto Theater's website to see if there were any upcoming shows I might want to see. I was intrigued by the name of a band that performed last week, so I checked them out. They are called DeVotchKa, which is apparently some kind of Russian-British slang made popular by the book A Clockwork Orange. I've been meaning to read it, since it's supposed to be really good. I stopped watching the movie version about fifteen minutes in because it was too hard to watch, but maybe I'd do better with print.

Anyway, while listening to the sample song (which I liked a lot), I was struck with a sense of familiarity. I figured it out right away that it was the main theme from one of my favorite movies, Little Miss Sunshine. It turns out that the band was a collaborator in composing the entire score. Here's a nice combination:



The band also has a gorgeous website, further proof of my assertion that the prettiest websites are always for indie record labels and bands.

It all got me thinking that I don't listen to enough new music. I guess I'm getting old and set in my ways...but I remembered this really cool internet radio site, Pandora. You tell them what artists you like, and they have some fancy way of cataloging music that populates your station with music that you like! I've started building a station, check it out!