Saturday, February 20, 2010

Seven Falls, Again

Pics from a recent hike up Bear Canyon to Seven Falls. Trust me, there are falls. None of the pics of the actual falls were very good, so I'm not posting any.  You can see some from my older post.

I was very amused this time by the warnings on the information board about being prepared for hikes.



Personally, I would probably pass out if I wore long sleeves to hike in this climate. I think I might be a lizard or something (my legs get scaly in the dry weather if I don't use lotion!) since my body can't seem to manage it's temperature very well.  Put me in the sun and I start baking unless I'm half naked.  And walking sticks? The trails at Sabino Canyon aren't that difficult, but lots of people use store-bought walking sticks. On the only steep trail in the area, along Black Ridge, almost nobody uses them. Maybe this is a clever marketing scheme by the local outdoor equipment retailers. The one thing that's not a joke is bringing water. Sure, you'll get to the end of the trail and back alive without it, but you'll probably get a crappy headache from being dehydrated.


Of course, you could take your chances with the water from the falls, which was lovely.


 
Abstract art, kind of.

 
View from the top, but a little hill is blocking the view of the city.


A rock tower, just for fun. Someday, there will be a report on the Tucson news: "Hikers Lost Due to Excessive Misinforming Handmade Trail Markers" and someone will feel really guilty.


My favorite type of cactus, the cholla.  This is a particularly wonderful specimen, and unusually tall. I love how the color fades from the newer to older parts. From a distance, the look so fuzzy and lovable...


...but don't hug it!